Nigerian ministerial nominee, Geoffery Onyeama is from Enugu State. Here is his biography and profile.
Date of Birth:February 2, 1956
Family status:Married with three children
Bachelor of Arts (BA), Political Science, Columbia University (Columbia College), New York, USA, (1977)
Bachelor of Arts (BA), Law, Cambridge University (St. John’s College), Cambridge, United Kingdom (1980)
Master of Laws (LL.M), Law, University of London (London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), London, United Kingdom (1982)
Master of Arts (MA), Law, Cambridge University (St. John’s College), Cambridge, United Kingdom (1984)
• Dean’s List of Columbia College, Columbia University, New York, USA Professional Qualification
• Barrister-at-law, Gray’s Inn, London, United Kingdom (1981)
• Solicitor and Advocate of the Supreme Court of Nigeria, Nigerian Law School, Lagos, Nigeria (1983)
• Research Officer, Nigerian Law Reform Commission, Lagos, Nigeria,
• Law Practitioner, Mogboh and Associates, Enugu, Nigeria (1984-1985)
1985 to present – World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
1985-1986 – Assistant Program Officer, Development Cooperation and External Relations, Bureau for Africa and Western Asia (The Bureau was renamed the Development Cooperation and External Relations Bureau for Africa at the end of 1985)
1986-1990 – Program Officer, Development Cooperation and External Relations Bureau for Africa
1990-1996 – Senior Program Officer, Development Cooperation and External Relations Bureau for Africa
1996-1998 – Senior Counsellor, Development Cooperation and External Relations Bureau for Africa (The Bureau was renamed the Cooperation for Development Bureau for Africa at the end of 1997)
1998 – Deputy Director, Cooperation for Development Bureau for Africa
1998-1999 – Acting Director, Cooperation for Development Bureau for Africa (The Bureau was renamed the Economic Development Bureau for Africa at the end of 2003)
1999-2006 – Director, Cooperation for Development Bureau for Africa
2006-2009 – Assistant Director General, Coordination Sector for External Relations, Industry, Communications and Public Outreach.
Responsible for: coordinating relations with United Nations (UN) organizations, other intergovernmental organizations, industry, non-governmental organizations (NGOs); and responsible for communication, public outreach, media relations and gender focal point.
* In this capacity, initiated, in 2008, with the International Federation of Reproduction Rights Organizations (IFRRO), the process within WIPO that culminated in the adoption of the Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons Who are Blind, Visually Impaired or Otherwise Print Disabled
2006-2012 Responsible, during various periods, for the WIPO External Offices in Brussels, New York, Rio de Janeiro, Singapore, Tokyo and Washington, D.C.
1/12/2009 to – Deputy Director General, Development Sector.
Responsible for: the regional bureaus for Africa, Arab Countries, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean; the Least-Developed Countries Division (LDCs); the Development Agenda Coordination Division (DACD); the WIPO Academy and the Special Projects Division.
• English, French, German and Igbo.