Dr. Chris Nwabueze Ngige was born in Alor, Idemili South Local Government area of Anambra State on 18th August, 1952. A crusader of social justice, he always goes on the conviction that division based on issues is to be preferred to unity based on hopelessness.
Dr. Christ Ngige is happily married to Dr. Mrs. Evelyn N. Ngige, a consultant pediatrician, and the union is blessed with 3 children.
He obtained the West African School Certificate (WASC) with distinction in 1972. Bachelors of Medicine and Surgery (BM.BCH) degree at the University of Nigeria Nsukka, (UNN) in 1979, Diploma in Hospital Management in Peshawar in 1990. He became a fellow of the Pakistan Institute of Hospital Service.
An ideal medical doctor with vast experience in administration, he has occupied the following positions in Government Service:
- Medical Officer, National Assembly Clinic, 1980-82
- Physician to the Senate Present, 1983
- Physician of State House/Federal Government special Guest House, 1985-90
- Consultant in-charge of Federal Government State Clinic, The Presidency, Abuja, 1992-93
- Consultant and Assistant Director in-charge of all Federal Medical Centres in Nigeria, Federal Ministry of Health headquarters, Abuja, 1994-97
- Deputy Director of Hospital Services Federal Medical Centres/Teaching Hospitals Federal Ministry of Health Abuja, 1997-98
- Member, Ministerial Task Force on Completion of University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital (UNTH), Ituku Ozala, Enugu, 1996-98
Dr. Chris Ngige is the proud recipient of the following recognized honours/appointments:
< Recipient of Nigeria’s National Honours of Officer of the Order of the Niger, (O.O.N.)
< Member, Nigeria G 15-Economic Cooperation Council 1990 (Special Federal Government Delegation to under study Indonesia and Malaysia economic experience in agriculture, health and technology)
< Member, Vision 2010 sub-committee on health
< Ad hoc lecturer on Budget/contract procedures to Administrative Staff College of Nigeria (ASCON) Badagary Chief Medical Directors Course 1996
< Foundation Sole Administration, Aka-Ikenga, Lagos 1988-90
< President, Aka-Ikenga, 1992-97
< Chairman, Alor Development Union, Lagos Branch, 1990-99
< President General, Alor People’s Convention, 1996-99
< Special Adviser and member Igwe Alor In-Council, 1990 – present
< Co-Convener Nkpoko Igbo, pre-constitutional conference seminar in Enugu, 1995
< Member, Ohanaeze Council of Elders and member strategic committee, 1992-97
< Foundation Member PDP, National Level, 1998
Ngige was the governor of Anambra State in Nigeria from 29 May 2003 to 17 March 2006 under the People Democratic Party (PDP). He is currently a member of the All Progressives Congress (APC). He was elected Senator for Anambra Central Constituency in April 2011.
Ngige’s tenure as a Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria came to an end following his defeat in the 2015 election by Hon. Uche Ekwunife who has been sworn in as the Senator representing Anambra Central Senatorial District in the current 8th National Assembly of Nigeria.
He is currently the Ministerial of Labour and Employment under the President Buhari’s administration.